Finally, you have found the business venture that you are confident of and you are now ready to be officially called an entrepreneur. You prepare a checklist of the things you need to accomplish to jumpstart your business, one of which is naming your business. Then you have to register your business name to make it legit.
Thing is, you are swamped with so many other tasks getting this business up and running that registering over-the-DTI-counter can be so tedious. So how what do you do then?
Business Name Online Registration
Yes, DTI has provided us the ease of registering business name and paying fees online through their Enhanced Business Name Registration System. Allow us to walk you through DTI’s Online Business Name Registration for your own convenience.
Before you can proceed with registering your business name, you need to carefully review the BNRS Terms and Conditions which you will see upon clicking “New Application” on the left-hand side of the webpage. For quick review, DTI reminds applicants that your business name should not be any of the following:
• Illegal, offensive, scandalous, or contrary to propriety (e.g. Popoy’s Jueteng Betting Place, Boobs Massage and Spa);
• Similar or almost resembling an existing registered business, company, partnership, corporation (Securities and Exchange Commission), cooperative name (Cooperative Development Authority); nor it infringes on any trademark, service mark and tradename (e.g. Anne Dok’s Lechon, Jolibee, Starbax Cafe);
• Purely of generic or geographic words (e.g. The Laundry Shop, Bacolod)
• A name which by law or regulation cannot be appropriated (e.g. Intelligence, State College, CALABARZON);
• Used to designate or distinguish, or not suggestive of quality of any class of goods, articles, merchandise, or service (e.g. Best Taho Factory, A-1 Auto Repair Shop );
• A name or abbreviation of a name used by the government in its governmental functions (e.g. NBI Private Investigation Services, DTI Trading);
• A name or abbreviation of a name of any nation, inter-governmental or international organization (e.g. Philippine Manpower Pooling Agency, UNESCO Marketing, WHO Health Services); and
• Deceptive, misleading or which misrepresent the nature of business (e.g. ABC Construction Services where nature of business is recruitment, Manny Pacquiao’s Sports Retail Shop).
Click “I Agree” to proceed. You will be directed to an online form which you need to fill out with the necessary information:
1. Under the Business Scope segment, choose the appropriate coverage of your business (i.e. If Sari-sari store—Barangay, if foodcart franchise—City/Municipality, if online reseller—Regional, if courier services that ships nationwide—National). The corresponding fee is also reflected under each option for your guidance.
2. Indicate your selected business name on the Proposed Business Name field then click “Check Name Availability” to make sure it doesn’t have a duplicate name. Once it goes through without any similar names, you will see a prompt summarizing the details you just filled out. If you want to try another name, you can just simply click on “Try a Different Name”.
3. Then fill out with accuracy the Owner’s Details and Residence Address, ensuring that required fields are completed.
4. For Payment Method, assuming that you want to use DTI’s e-Payment facility, just choose GCash or Bancnet. Select “Download” for your business name certification and hit “Submit”.
5. Your certification will be provided on the next page. Download the e-copy and have it printed if you wish. Take note of your Transaction Reference Number (TRN) Acknowledgement found in the last page of the online application form as this will be required when you pay online.
6. Go back to the online business registration homepage and click “Online Payment” on the left-hand side menu. Settle the appropriate fees via your chosen facility accordingly.
And that’s it! In less than 15 minutes your business name registration is done. If you have other queries related to business name registration, refer to DTI’s FAQ page.
It is important to note that there are requirements you need to comply with to ensure the success of your business name application. Submit these requirements to DTI within fifteen (15) working days or else, your registration will be considered abandoned.
But as far as business registration is concerned, doing it online is so much easier. We hope that our step-by-step process have helped simplify the DTI business name registration for you.